The Sports law practice has two (2) partners that are former NFL certified Contract Advisors (Agents) and they focus on educating and counseling athletes and their families in:
• Insurance, including permanent disability and loss-of-value policies: Athletes can obtain disability insurance, including loss-of-value coverage, to protect the player’s future contract value against a decline based upon a significant injury or illness. We counsel families on insurance coverage and negotiate the language, terms, conditions, exclusions, and riders on their behalf.
• Agent due diligence, selection, and fee negotiation: As former certified NFL contract advisors (agents) and experienced trial attorneys, we utilize our specific knowledge of the August 4, 2011 NFLPA collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and years of business, litigation, and negotiating experience to assist and educate players and families in connection with choosing an agent as well as in negotiating fees.
• Financial Advisor due diligence; selection, and fee negotiation: As Wall Street lawyers that have tried over 100 cases, represented numerous financial institutions, and hundreds of financial advisors nationwide, we assist and educate players and families in connection with choosing a financial advisor as well as in negotiating fees
• Investment due diligence and business formation: As a Wall Street law firm that has acted as counsel on hundreds of deals totaling billions of dollars, we assist and educate players and families in connection with understanding prospective deals before investments are made. We also assist players and families in corporate formation.
• Loans and advances: We assist and educate players and families in understanding terms and conditions of loans and advances. We have also litigated cases concerning loans and advances.
• Intellectual property (brand and image) protection, including negotiating endorsement and social media contracts: We assist players and their families in protecting their brand and image as well as in negotiating endorsement contracts and social media contracts.
• Litigation: Our firm has been listed as one of BTI Consulting’s “Most Feared” litigation law firms 2014, 2015, and 2016. We have been representing athletes in criminal and civil litigation for over 20 years.